Looking for some great healthy snacks? Get a sneak peek at eDiets' expert picks here!
When you're a low-carb devotee, it's the simple things (carbs) you miss the most. Bread and mashed potatoes become things of the past. This is a sad reality of your newly chosen lifestyle. But, if you're a smart low-carb eater, a substitution for those longings is just a list away.
Help is on the way. Take note of these low-carb substitutes!
1. Faux-tatoes Anyone? Who says you can't have your potato and eat, it too? You can when you switch mashed potatoes for mashed cauliflower! Simply steam up a whole head of cauliflower until it is tender. Now, add some cream cheese, butter and salt and pepper. Whir it up in the blender or food processor. This is so good, you're gonna wish you had made this sooner!
2. Going Crackers. So what if saltines are verboten? Genisoy brand crackers are delicious and work well for snacking up a storm. And, check this out lest you think I've lost my low-carb footing: there are only 12 grams of carbs in the 25 crackers they give you per serving! So, eat half and you're still in the low-carb ballpark. They're available in a variety of flavors and can be had at well-stocked grocery stores and health food stores.
3. Chips Ahoy! Chips are a snacker's divine right. Or, so we seem to think. But, if you're low carbing, they're a carbohydrate nightmare. Tortilla Factory has solved that problem with a great tasting low-carb tortilla. Try the garlic herb tortillas! Cut them into triangles, spray with some oil and crisp up in the oven (about 425 degrees F, for about 7 minutes). Best of all, there are only 3 net carbs per tortilla!
4. It Hasta be Pasta! A simple substitute for the oft-craved pasta is spaghetti squash. It truly does have a nice nutty flavor. Top it with a meaty spaghetti sauce and some grated Parmesan for an Italian feast. It may not be fettuccine, but it sure looks like angel hair!
5. Chocoholic's Relief. There are low-carb chocolates and then there is Asher's Peanut Butter Truffle bar. Available at GNC, this thing has only ONE net carb and will save you from a Reese's regret later.