FAQs: Meal Planning & Nutrition Questions
- How is the eDiets plan structured, and what are its nutritional standards?
- Our goal is to provide every member with the program that fits their individual needs. All eDiets members have the opportunity to consult with our credentialed nutritionists to find the program that's right for them. For example, if you're concerned about heart disease, you may want to follow our Heart Smart Plan which follows the recommendations of the American Heart Association. People with diabetes may prefer our Living with Diabetes Plan which meets the guidelines of the American Diabetes Association.
- Are the calories in my meal plan specific for me?
- Yes. Your meal plan is created just for you, based on the information in your personal profile. We use your Body Mass Index (BMI) to determine the healthy weight for your height. If you want to maintain your weight, your meal plan delivers balanced nutrition and the right amount of calories to keep your weight stable. If you need to lose weight, your daily calories will deliver balanced nutrition and help you to lose 1 to 2 pounds per week without compromising lean body mass or energy. Studies have shown that losing weight too quickly makes it difficult to keep off. The faster you lose it, the faster you will put it back on. But 1 to 2 pounds per week is perfect for optimal results.
- What is BMI?
- The federal government implemented the Body Mass Index as an accurate and convenient method of determining healthy weight and defining your health risks. BMI does not factor into body type or muscle mass. A "normal" BMI falls within the 18.5 to 24.9 range.
- How do I know this is an effective program?
- Our program is based on the same nutritional standards advocated by healthcare professionals, so they are designed to be safe. And since weight loss is more successful with support, companionship and guidance, we offer a comprehensive support network to help you make the most of your plan. But don't just take our word for it! Read some of our members' awesome Success Stories and judge for yourself.
- How hard is it to prepare the meals?
- eDiets offers a variety of diets and weekly meal plans personalized to fit your needs. Your profile helps us match you to your perfect diet and design the right meal plan for you. You can choose the Convenience Plan if you're always on the go; Recipe Plan if you love to cook; or a Combination Plan that includes both.
If you need help with meal plan options, contact our credentialed nutritionists at Nutrition@ediets.com. You can check out our full meal plan offering on the View All Diet Plans page or click here.
- Can I have the meals from my online menu delivered to my home?
- You can have your meals delivered to you with eDiets Meal Delivery. Not all plans are featured on the meal delivery program, but there are still a variety of different cuisines, the ability to customize your menu and to choose the specific meals you prefer.
- What if I don't like to cook or don't have the time?
- If you want an even easier way to lose weight, then eDiets Meal Delivery may be the choice for you. There is no cooking or cleanup. The meals are shipped directly to your doorstep weekly. Simply refrigerate and heat them when you're ready to eat. It's that simple! Switching to Meal Delivery is easy and you can continue losing weight without missing a step.
- Can I change my meal plan at any time?
- Yes. To change your current meal plan, go to View/Edit Preferences and select the meal plan you desire from the drop down menu in the Switch My Diet Plan section at the bottom of the page. Remember, once you change your meal plan, your weekly menu will change to fit your new meal plan. If you have already completed your grocery shopping for the week, you may want to consider waiting until the next week to change your meal plan.
- Should I print out my program each week?
- Yes! It's great to have a printed copy of your meal plan that you can reference any time you need. You can even bring your meal plan along with your shopping list when you go to the grocery store. This will make it even easier to make substitutions.
- Where is my meal plan information displayed?
- You can access your meal plan directly from your member home page. In addition, your Diet section provides direct access to your meal plan and other tools that will help you on the way.
- How do I change my preferences?
- It's easy! To change your plan preferences, select the View/Edit Preferences option in the Diet section. Submit your changes and then, review your meals and print your shopping list.
- How do I get my weekly program?
- To view your new meal plan, you need to go through the weekly check-in process. The weekly check-in process will give you the option to enter your current weight and generate a new meal plan. To weigh-in, click on the Check-in link to process your weekly check-in. When you are due to complete your weekly check-in, a check-in link will appear in the Meal Plan section of your eDiets Member Home page or you can access the Check-in within the Diet section.
- How often do I weigh in? Can I do it every day?
- You must weigh in once a week. Weigh yourself on the same scale each week, at the same time of day, wearing a similar amount of clothing. Do not weigh yourself every day. Weighing yourself daily will not produce an accurate representation of your progress.
- How do I track my progress?
- With weekly check-ins, we make tracking your progress easy! Your weigh-in and measurement history are always just a few clicks away. To view your progress, simply log on to your Diet Progress and Fitness Progress pages.
- What happens when I reach my goal weight?
- When you reach your goal weight, we'll help you stay there with a maintenance plan designed just for you. The calorie level in your meal plan will help you control your weight, and our online support plan can help you stay focused. After achieving your personal goals you may be interested in becoming an eDiets Mentor or telling others about your success by becoming an eDiets Success Story. As a Mentor you will assist new members in becoming acclimated with the eDiets website and also provide support and encouragement. For more information on our Mentor Program please visit the Mentor Room Support Board in the Community section of our website. To share your story, please write to Success@ediets.com.
- What is the nutritional breakdown of the meal plans?
- The nutritional breakdown can vary depending on the meal plan you choose. Our eDiets meal plans, apart from the Living with Diabetes Plan, contain about 50-60 percent carbohydrate calories, 20-25 percent calories from protein and the remaining calories from fat. We normally recommend complex carbohydrates ("whole" foods with fiber that have not been overly processed to lose their nutritional value), lean protein (lean meats, skinless poultry, fish and soy proteins) and unsaturated fats (like olive and canola oil). Our meals and recipes follow the recommendations of the American Heart Association, the American Dietetic Association and the American Diabetes Association. You can check out our full meal plan offering and information about each on the View All Diet Plans page or by clicking here. If you have any questions about a meal plan, please contact Nutrition Support at1-800-265-6170.
- How can I get additional nutrition or meal plan questions answered?
- Please contact Nutrition Support toll free at 1-800-265-6170 or email Nutrition@ediets.com. Our nutritionists are here daily to assist you with your meal plan and nutrition questions. They'll help you to select the best meal plan, make sure you're taking in the right amount of calories on the right track to achieving your weight-loss goals, so please contact them for consultation today. Also, you can visit any of the Meal Plan Specific Support Boards for assistance from Nutrition Support.
Meals, Recipes & Shopping Lists for Online-only Diet Plans
- How can I change my meal if I don't like it?
- Next to each meal, you'll find a Change Meal option. Clicking the Change Meal option will display a list of meals you can substitute for that meal. Once you've selected your substitute meal, make sure you update your plan. We suggest that you review your meals for the week and make substitutions before printing your meal plan and shopping list.
- How does the shopping list work?
- Your weekly shopping list contains all the items you need to have on hand for the week. Take a few minutes to review your meals for the week then make any substitutions to your meal plan. After that, print out your shopping list. For accuracy, always print the shopping list last.
- I don't like buying a lot of different foods each week. What can I do?
- When you review your meal plan at the beginning of the week, make some changes. Choose simple meals or repeat a few meals so you don't have to buy so many different food items. Use your Substitution List. If you want to have baked potatoes several times in a week, you can substitute potato for rice or pasta, or bread at any meal.
- How can I substitute items in my meal plan? Is there a Substitution List?
- Yes! You can find your Substitutions List on the Tools page in your Diet section. Learning how to substitute one item for another is the key to success. Suppose you want to choose a different serving of starch or bread. The Substitutions List gives you plenty of options in the appropriate portion size. Just pick the one that works for you.
- How do I know the "serving size" of a food?
- The Substitutions List shows the serving size for every food. Serving sizes vary. For example, a "serving" of fruit could be one medium-sized piece of fruit, 4 ounces of unsweetened fruit juice, or 2 tablespoons of raisins. A "serving" of bread is one (1-ounce) slice of bread, 1/2 cup of cooked cereal or 1/2 cup of cooked dried beans.
For a more general illustration of serving sizes check out the Serving Size Guide on your Diet Tools page.
- My store doesn't carry the frozen entree on my menu. Can I pick a different one?
- Yes. The Substitutions List includes instructions about substituting one frozen entree for another while staying within your plan's nutritional guidelines. You can choose your favorite entree and, depending on the calories, you can choose items to complete your meal while staying within the guidelines of your plan.
- I'm unfamiliar with an item on the menu. Where can I get information?
- If you are unfamiliar with an item on your menu please contact Nutrition Support for help at Nutrition@ediets.com
- How can I get a vegetarian meal plan? Do you offer different vegetarian options?
- eDiets offers a Vegetarian Plan. If you are not already on this plan, you can switch to it on the View/Edit Preferences page of your Diet section. You have the ability to customize your menu through exclusion options. On your View/Edit Preferences page, exclude any foods you don't like to eat, like meat or dairy. Several of the other meal plans can also be customized this way to offer vegetarian options. At the beginning of each week, review your plan and change any meal you don't want using the Change Meal option.
Special Rules for Special Days
- How can I stay on my meal plan during the holidays?
- Holiday eating can be difficult, so we'll help you to plan ahead. Join a Support Board to help you plan your holiday eating strategies. You can even get your own personal mentor to help you survive the holidays.
- How can I make healthy food choices at a restaurant?
- When you know how to make healthy choices, you can eat anywhere without sacrificing your eating plan. Check out our Dining Out Guide in the Tools page of your Diet section. The guide has information about how to stay on track while eating out.
Special Dietary Needs
- What's the difference between "food allergy" and "food intolerance?"
- Both allergies and intolerances produce symptoms, but the symptoms are usually more severe with an allergy. An allergy usually produces immediate symptoms, and you can test for food allergies.
- I have food allergies. How can I change my plan to avoid those items?
- We can exclude certain foods like milk, red meat, fish and chicken from your plan. For specific food allergies, use the Substitutions List to choose different food items in the same category as the food you want to replace. If you're allergic to wheat, we offer a Wheat-Free plan and encourage you to use the Recipe Plan since wheat is a "hidden ingredient" in many packaged foods. Remember, for more help, you can always contact a nutrition professional at Nutrition@ediets.com.
- I don't like milk, but I do like other dairy products. What should I do?
- Dairy foods are a great source of calcium, Vitamin D and protein. The following dairy products are interchangeable, so you can always substitute one for the other.
8 oz. nonfat or 1% fat milk =
- 8 oz. low-fat milk substitute (low-fat soy milk or rice milk)
- 8 oz. low-fat or 1% fat Lactaid milk
- 6 oz. nonfat or 1% fat plain yogurt (sugar-free or artificially sweetened)
- 4 oz. nonfat or 1% fat pudding
- 8 oz. nonfat sugar-free pudding
- 2 oz. nonfat or low-fat hard cheese
- ½ cup nonfat or 1% fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup nonfat or 1% fat ricotta cheese
- What if I'm sick and don't have much of an appetite?
- Just stick to simple foods. Low-fat foods are best tolerated and plain foods will be more easily digested than those with sauces and spices. Keep hydrated by drinking plenty of fluids such as water, herbal and decaffeinated teas and bouillon. When you recover, return to your meal plan.
- What if I need to exclude certain foods due to my culture or beliefs?
- No problem. Many of our members keep to their customs while using our healthy meal plans to successfully lose weight. Our plans are flexible, so you can easily change a meal. If you need to eliminate certain foods, you can exclude them on your View/Edit Preferences page. You can also take advantage of our Substitutions List. Here you will find healthy alternatives, in the right portions, to the foods you need to avoid.
- What is eDiets Meal Delivery?
- eDiets Meal Delivery is a comprehensive weight-loss program that features premium quality, freshly prepared meals and snacks in calorie-smart portions. These nutritionally balanced meals are offered in conjunction with the Web's premier community for weight-loss support, expert advice and news to give you the support you need to succeed. Created by a team of dietitians and trained chefs, eDiets offers a delicious, convenient and effective way to lose weight.
- How does eDiets Meal Delivery work?
- Once you select the plan that best fits your needs, you're ready to begin customizing your menu.* Choose from more than 100 great-tasting, freshly prepared, chef-created meals. You'll choose one breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack for each day, or you can order our Members' Favorites Package. If you choose not to customize your own menu, then we will send you our Members' Favorites Package.
The meals you select are then made to order with only the highest-quality ingredients and NO ADDED PRESERVATIVES, packed in our advanced "chill-fresh" packaging, and shipped directly to you. All you do when your chef-prepared meals are delivered to your home is heat, eat and enjoy! It's that simple.
*Menu Customization is not available for the eDiets Freedom Plan
- How can the eDiets Meal Delivery program benefit my health?
- Weight loss is only one of many reasons to join eDiets Meal Delivery. There are numerous other benefits including better health, more energy and adopting healthy eating habits while enjoying great tasting meals.
- How can eDiets Meal Delivery benefit my lifestyle?
- eDiets Meal Delivery is healthy and convenient - it's like having your own personal chef and dietitian every day! Eat amazing gourmet food and lose weight. No shopping, no planning, no cooking, and no cleaning. Save time and money while looking and feeling your best.
- What programs does eDiets offer?
- eDiets offers several programs to help you reach your goals:
- eDiets Meal Delivery Plan
- What makes eDiets Meal Delivery better for me than other programs?
- eDiets Meal Delivery is an exceptional weight-loss experience because you do not have to eat dehydrated diet food to lose weight. eDiets offers freshly prepared foods, delivered chill-fresh each week, including the favorites YOU select from a wide variety of delicious entrees. Your meals are made-to-order in our USDA-inspected kitchen, securely packed using our advanced "chill-fresh" packaging and delivered fresh to your front door.
Plus, while you are receiving your deliveries, you have full access to eDiets' award-winning online and phone support from registered dietitians and personal trainers. You can call, email or live chat with any question any day of the week. Whether you have questions on how best to build muscle or are looking to manage a particular aspect of your nutrition profile better, our team is here to help you make the most of your weight-loss experience. You also have 24/7 access to more than 80 member support boards that include age-specific forums, popular diet topics and motivational challenges. It all adds up to an unparalleled level of support.
- To what areas do you deliver?
- eDiets Meal Delivery is available throughout the continental United States! We ship all orders via UPS delivery to your home or office.
- Do I need to be home to receive the meals?
- No. The meals will be left for you in a sealed weatherproof cooler and will be safe and cool when you arrive home. Though a few hours on your front porch will not have an impact on the meals, we do recommend you choose a delivery day that will not result in an unattended delivery for an extended period of time.
- What if my cooler arrives and the gel-packs are melted?
- If your cooler arrives and the gel-packs are melted, do not be alarmed. As long as the meals are still refrigerator cold to the touch, your order can be placed in the fridge with no impact on the quality. If you are not sure, then call Customer Service at 1-877-968-7343.
- What if I will be out of town during a scheduled meal delivery?
- Not a problem. If you know in advance that you will be out of town and unable to receive your scheduled delivery, you can simply SKIP that shipment.* To do so, go to your Meal Delivery Preferences page and select which shipment(s) you would like to skip or give our customer service team a call at 1-877-968-7343 during normal customer service hours. Remember, any changes to your order must be made prior to Wednesday at 11:59pm EST for orders scheduled to ship the following week.
*Skipping weeks is not currently available with the eDiets Freedom Plan
- What if I'm on medication?
- We suggest consulting your physician before you start this or any other nutrition program.
- Are any preservatives used in the meals?
- We do not add any artificial preservatives to our meals, and we continue to strive to eliminate all preservatives in our menu items. Some pre-packaged snacks, sauces or pre-prepared items (such as tortillas) may contain small amounts of preservatives. If you have any ingredient sensitivities, please be sure to review the ingredients list and nutritional breakdown found on the label of the package. For your added convenience, you may also preview this information online.
- Do eDiets foods have trans fats?
- No. All of the eDiets meals contain zero trans fats.
- How long will the meals keep in my refrigerator?
- eDiets meals will stay fresh in your refrigerator for up to 10 days from receipt of your cooler. You may freeze them for up to three months if you wish to keep them longer.
- How is the food heated?
- All eDiets meals come packed in microwave-safe containers and can be re-heated in as little as 1 to 2 minutes. Detailed heating instructions are included with every meal. You can eat the meals directly from the container for easy cleanup. Or if you prefer, you can transfer the meals to a regular dish for a more traditional presentation.
- What if I go out to eat?
- We understand that sometimes situations arise when you may not require one of your eDiets meals. If you are eating out, you can save your eDiets meal to eat at the end of your cycle. Your meals will stay fresh for up to 10 days after delivery with refrigeration or you can store your meal in the freezer for up to three months to eat at a later date. Our five-day meal plan options offer the perfect balance of structure and flexibility for those who eat out frequently as part of their lifestyle.
We recommend you use your eDiets meals as a guide to eating appropriate portion sizes while eating out. You may also want to consult your eDiets Dining Out Guide for some helpful suggestions.
I like to eat out on the weekends. Will this program work for me? Of course! You may simply want to select the "weekends free" option. It's the same great food in a five-day plan. The five-day plan allows for more flexibility than the seven-day plan and you can easily switch from one plan to the other as your needs change.
- Can I drink alcohol?
- Your daily plan is specifically tailored to your nutritional requirements. If you choose to drink alcohol, limit intake to no more than two drinks a day for men and one a day for women. (One drink is 12 ounces of light beer, 5 ounces of wine, or 1.5 ounces of liquor.) Alcohol intake can increase your calorie intake and may inhibit or delay weight loss.
- How much weight loss can I expect?
- A safe and healthy weight loss is between 1-2 pounds per week. While our program has yielded excellent results, everyone is different, and individual results can vary, depending on many factors including age, activity level, amount of exercise, medical conditions and current weight.
- When I reach my weight goal, what happens?
- We suggest switching to one of our maintenance diets. You can still get your food delivered with our 5-Day Plan, or switch to online meal plans and prepare your meals yourself. You won't lose any history, and you can switch back to meal delivery whenever you wish.
- Do I eat my meal or snack even if I'm not hungry?
- We encourage eating all the meals listed on your meal plan. Your meal plan has been designed to provide you with essential nutrients necessary for optimal energy, nutrition and healthy weight loss.
- What if I am still hungry?
- In addition to eating your meals and snack, you should be adding in 2 servings of nonfat dairy and 3 servings of fruit daily. Please refer to your Shopping List for recommended portions. Whether you add these items to a meal or save them to eat as a snack in between your meals is up to you. Keep in mind, eating something every 2-3 hours will help to curb your hunger. If you need further assistance, don?t hesitate to contact Nutrition Support at 1-877-968-7343.
- I'm not overweight. Why would I want to follow eDiets Meal Delivery?
- Weight loss is only one of many reasons to sign up for eDiets Meal Delivery. There are a number of other benefits to our program, including better health and the simplicity and convenience of having freshly prepared gourmet meals delivered to your home!
- Do I have to order online?
- You can, or you may call 1-877-968-7343 to reach an eDiets representative who will be happy to take your order over the phone and answer any questions you may have.
- What if I'd like to stop receiving deliveries? Do I have to cancel my account?
- No, you can simply switch to a digital plan to continue your weight loss without losing any of your history, support or member benefits. Switching back to Meal Delivery is easy whenever you are ready.
- Is there an additional fee for the fitness program and expert consultations?
- No. At eDiets, we believe that meals are only part of the weight-loss equation. Including a fitness program, following a meal plan, and receiving support from our experts and community will help you achieve your goals.
All eDiets Meal Delivery memberships include FREE access to all the features and services eDiets offers, including: unlimited online and phone support, customized fitness plans, complete access to the community, eTools, newsletters, and so much more!
- What can I do with leftover packaging?
- We continually strive to provide the proper balance between minimizing packaging and providing a fresh, food-safe product. While improvements are an ongoing process, our current meal delivery packaging is highly recyclable as follows:
Our Styrofoam coolers are expanded polystyrene, material #6 in the recycling system and contain no chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). They are reusable and can maintain temperatures of perishable goods with a minimum amount of refrigeration for an extended period of time. If you choose not to keep and reuse your coolers, they can be donated to youth camps for outdoor activities, local food shelters or thrift stores. If you would like more information on polystyrene materials or local recycling drop-off locations, you can visit the Alliance of Foam Packaging Recyclers at http://epspackaging.org/info.html.
To dispose of the gel packs, you may place them in the trash or reuse by placing them flat in a freezer for later use. The gel packs contain a USDA-approved, food-grade substance for safety reasons and are non-toxic. However, they should not be poured down a sink.
The plastic food trays can be recycled or reused to store food and non-food items, such as office, school or craft supplies. All other packaging materials contained in your Meal Delivery shipment can be deposited in your home recycling bin for regular pickup and sorting.
- Want a great way to recycle your gel packs and beautify your garden at the same time?
- Simply empty the liquid contents of each gel pack into your garden's soil or mulch and discard the outer bag in your recycling bin. The gel pack content will help your garden retain moisture and grow larger, healthier plants. Please be assured this food-grade liquid will not harm any plants, humans or animals that come in contact with the soil.
eDiets.com Member Services
Contact Us:Still have questions? Feel free to contact us using any of the methods below to contact us directly and we'll answer your question personally.
Meal Delivery Toll-free: 1-866-610-1270
Digital Member Toll-free: 1-866-616-1694
Meal Delivery Toll-free: 1-866-610-1270
Digital Member Toll-free: 1-866-616-1694
555 SW 12th Avenue
Pompano Beach, FL 33069
555 SW 12th Avenue
Pompano Beach, FL 33069