If your midsection is more Santa than sexy, we’ve got a great gift for you – a fast and effective four-week workout that’ll go a long way towards prepping your pooch for swimsuit season.
The best thing about this core-strengthening, ab-flattening workout program—you can do it just about anywhere and without workout machines or weights.
All you need is 30 minutes a day for 3 days a week and a stopwatch or timer.
While it's a simple plan that can create dramatic results in just four weeks, it does require your dedication.
So if you’re psyched for success, it’s time to tighten that belly before hitting the beach, attending a warm-weather wedding, fitting in to your favorite jeans or simply feeling better about yourself.
The 4-Week Flat Abs Workout
Timing: 3 non-consecutive days per week (For example, Monday, Wednesday, Friday).
Instructions: Move from one exercise to the next without stopping. For example, once you complete the last rep of pushups, go directly to the squats, etc.
NOTE: Exercise demonstrations can be found online. Simply search the exercise name if you are unfamiliar with the proper form.
Week 1: The Core Workout
1. Pushups: The goal is 10 reps but if you’re not able to perform 10, do as many as possible. You can substitute bent-knee pushups until you can complete regular pushups.
2. Squat with body weight – 20 reps.
3. Lunges – 10 reps each leg.
4. Bicycle Maneuver – timed for 30 seconds. If your legs fall to the floor in less than 30 seconds, take a deep breath, pick them back up and start again.
5. Reverse Ab Curl – timed for 30 seconds. If your legs fall to the floor, take a deep breath, pick them back up and start again.
6. Double crunch – timed for 30 seconds. If your legs fall to the floor, take a deep breath, pick them back up and start again.
7. Plank – hold for 45 seconds (or as close as you can get).
Rest 1 minute and repeat. Keep repeating the circuit in this manner until you reach 30 minutes. Then stretch for 5 minutes.
Weeks 2-4: Each week, add 2 more reps to the pushups, squats and lunges. And each week, add 5 seconds to the bicycle maneuver, reverse ab curl, double crunch and plank.
Cardio Plan: 3 non-consecutive days per week of cardio for 30 minutes a session.
Two days of steady state cardio and one high intensity interval training (HIIT) session. The cardio mode of exercise can vary. (For example, jogging on Tuesday, biking on Thursday and sprints on Saturday.)
How to do HIIT:
A combination of steady cardio and high intensity interval training will produce outstanding results and alleviate the boredom factor.
Keep in mind: No matter how much you exercise, your abs will only become flatter and tighter if your nutrition program is in a slight calorie deficit. Any of our eDiets eating plans will do the trick nicely.
Ready to belly up to the bar and go from flabby to flat in just a few weeks?
eDiets Chief Editor John McGran has an extensive background in online dieting and tabloid news. He covers the celebrity beat for eDiets.