Meat and Meat Substitutes Category including Poultry, Seafood, Cheese, Eggs and Soy Products
Each serving of lean meat has approximately 7 grams of protein, 1-5 grams of fat and 55-75 calories per item. All meat is not created equal! Choose lean cuts of meat such as loin, round and flank -- they have one third of the fat of ribs. Instead of “ground beef", choose top round, with one-third the fat. Choose ground turkey breast instead of ground turkey: remove the skin from all poultry before eating. All types of fish and shellfish are interchangeable. Tofu comes in firm and silken style: firm is best for stir-fry. Processed and canned meats and fish and meat substitutes are generally higher in sodium than fresh. Amounts shown are yield after cooking: when buying meat, fish and fowl, don't forget about shrinkage: four ounces of raw meat, poultry or fish generally yields three ounces after cooking. Three ounces of meat, fish or poultry looks like a deck of cards.
- 1 oz. lean meat, veal, or pork. Trim off visible fat before or after cooking
- 1 oz. skinless poultry, including chicken, turkey or Cornish hen. White meat is leanest.
- 1 oz. game meat such as venison, ostrich or buffalo
- 1 oz. fish, including fresh or frozen cod, flounder, halibut or fresh tuna
- 1 oz. of shellfish, including clams, shrimp, crab, lobster, scallops or imitation shellfish
- 1 oz. water packed canned tuna, salmon or sardines
- 1 oz. low fat sausage or turkey sausage
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4-cup egg substitute (not vegan because it contains eggs). Powdered egg substitute: 1 1/2 teaspoons to 2 tablespoons of water = 1 egg
- 1/4 cup nonfat or 1 percent cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup nonfat or low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 oz. low fat or nonfat cheese (feta, mozzarella, cheddar, etc.)
- 2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan
- 1 slice luncheon meat: (Choose reduced or lower sodium brand with 3 grams or less of fat per serving and approximately 160 milligrams or less of sodium per serving.)
- 1 oz. tofu or 2 oz. low-fat tofu
- 1 oz. tempeh (fermented soybean cake)
- 1 vegetarian burger = about 2 oz lean meat: Morningstar Farms Prime Patties are interchangeable with Garden Burgers or Boca Burgers or any vegetarian burger. Choose a veggie burger with 3 grams of fat or less of fat per serving.